Early Entrance Kindergarten Readiness Screening
Thank you for choosing the Washington Elementary School District (WESD)! Our district proudly utilizes an Early Entrance Kindergarten Readiness Screening Protocol (approved by the governing board) for children who are not 5 years of age by September 1 but turn 5 before January 1 of the current school year. This process aligns with Arizona state law regarding Kindergarten enrollment.
Washington Elementary School District first assesses students within WESD boundaries. Students who live outside the WESD boundaries will be put on a waiting list and assessed if there are open spots.
The screening process is rigorous and tests all aspects of child development.
Children enrolled in the Early Entry Kindergarten Readiness Screening are given a five-part test to help determine if they are ready to move forward into Kindergarten. The process evaluates students’ gross motor skills, fine motor skills, speech and language development, cognitive concepts, and social-emotional skills. For the school year 2018-2019 15% of students tested for Early Entry Kindergarten were recommended for Kindergarten.
Additional Information regarding the screening process:
- In order to be recommended for Kindergarten, children must score at least 5 years 5 months (5.5) on all tests, and also show evidence of being developmentally and socially-emotionally ready for school.
- Testing occurs in the morning, and takes approximately 4 hours. A parent or guardian must stay at the screening site location the entire time the child is being screened.
- Children need to be dressed in comfortable clothing, preferably shorts or pants and sneakers. We want your child to be as comfortable as possible.
- After the testing process, the Director of Curriculum & Instruction meets with the qualified teachers/therapists to review the testing scores and make the recommendations for Kindergarten
- After testing, parent(s)/guardian will be contacted by phone within 24 hours to share the results of testing.
In order for your child to be screened, the following must be brought on the scheduled day of screening:
- A valid birth certificate
- Money order for $75 made out to WESD **Money order is non-refundable regardless if child moves forward to kindergarten or not. **
- A current valid rent, mortgage, or utilities bill in parent’s name. The bill must be for the month before or during screening to show proof of residency within the district boundaries
Finally, it is important to understand that this is not a matter of pass or fail. The testing team considers multiple factors, both academic and socio-emotional; in order to make the most informed decision. Our ultimate goal is to set each child on the path to a successful learning career.
Enrollment will begin Monday, June 3rd, 2019.
Screening Dates will be Tuesday, July 16th – Thursday, July 18, 2019.
All Scheduling will be done online only this year on a first-come,-first-served basis.
Online scheduling will be available effective June 3, 2019.
If you have any questions please contact Curriculum & Instruction at (602) 347-2639.