The WESD Refugee Social Worker provides many services for newly arrived refugee and immigrant students and their families. Below some of the services provided are described.
- School Orientation for newly arrived students and their parents at the WESD Welcome Center. School supplies, native language and picture dictionaries are provided to assist with adjusting to the new school setting.
- Monthly Refugee Parent Support Groups
- Informal assessment of the new refugee student’s educational and social needs in the school system. Involving and encouraging the family to understand the educational system and connect to the teachers and to the school.
- Provide social skills and cultural integration group sessions.
- Assist parents and teachers to understand the unique needs of the refugee student by facilitating meetings, including Special Education evaluations and IEP meetings.
- Assist with ELL placement, afterschool and summer school programs for refugee students.
- Collaborate with Refugee Resettlement Agencies to best serve the needs of refugee students and families. Offer appropriate community resources to refugee families.
- Professional development offered to staff to educate about the unique needs of refugee and immigrant students.
For further assistance please contact the Social Services Department at 602-347-2652.
Frequently used resources
Catholic Charities (CC) 602-997-6105
International Rescue Committee (IRC) 602-433-2440
Refugee Focus 602-248-4400
Arizona Immigration and Refugee Services (AIRS) 602-944-1821
Arizona Department of Education Refugee Program 602-542-7463